Friday, September 7, 2007

Peanut Curry Corn

Peanut Curry Corn


Yummy, crunchy, sticky, low cal, low fat (if you use "Better than Peanut Butter" popcorn recipe that I came up with in desperation one day in response to getting soooo sick of air-popped popcorn made with butter spray and Parmesan cheese, my old diet standby. I know this sounds odd, but try it!-- It's yummy!

2 servings 1
HUGE servings for me!
15 min 15 min prep
Change to: HUGE servings for me! US Metric
8 cups popped popcorn (air-popped- no oil or salt)
2 tablespoons peanut butter ("Better than Peanut Butter")
1 teaspoon chili paste (Sambal Oelek)
1 teaspoon curry powder

I use 1/2 cup unpopped corn kernels to make about 8 to 10 cups of popped corn in my air-popper. I use a LARGE plastic bowl to pop into.

In a microwave safe cup, put the peanut butter ( I use "Better than Peanut Butter" with mine. It's half the calories and like 75% less fat. It's too sweet in my opinion for PB&J sammies, but it is really great in this!).

Add sambal (add more if you like it spicier, or less if you're a wimp) to the peanut butter along with enough water (teeny bit!) to thin the peanut butter, not too runny though! Should be a creamy and thick. Stir with a table knife, not a fork.

Microwave the cup of P. Butter and Sambal for about 30 seconds.

With rubber gloved hands (Hot!) gently fold the P. butter mixture onto the popcorn. It's messy, and sticky and it seems impossible without crushing all the popcorn, but trust me, it does work. Just keep grabbing some in your hand and working it through the popcorn GENTLY. Remember work it into popcorn in the bottom of bowl too.

As it cooks it turns into little clusters of popcorn-ball like sticky sweet spicy yumminess!

A nice cold beer goes great with this!

No comments: